Sure, we moms love trips to the spa, pedicures, hot stone massage, pretty flower bouquets, trinkety bling and fruity brunches. (I could go on and on, believe me!) But the following talking points attempt to touch on the true meaning of Mother’s Day, beyond the inevitable commercialism that accompanies this holiday. Here are ten conversation starters that you can bring up with your kids on that special day, ideally while spending some quality time together.
- Their birth story- leave out the traumatic parts! If the whole birth experience was traumatic, tell them how happy you were the first time you got to hold them.
- The thing they made you in school with the painted popsicle sticks, dried beans and/or macaroni and a photo of them attached is the BEST gift you’ve ever received in your life.
- Even though they are growing into big kids, they will always be your Baby.
- Becoming their mother changed you, made you a happier person and life more enjoyable, in general.
- Cuddling with them is your favorite. (Go ahead, snuggle away.)
- You are proud of them. Not only their measurable accomplishments, but their moments of kindness and generosity when just being who they are.
- They inspire you to do better, to be stronger and more courageous, because you want to make the world a better place for them.
- Being their mother keeps you young- because being in the presence of children and exercising your imagination helps to keep that part of your spirit intact.
- You would not trade a moment of their existence for any moment of your own existence before they came along. (Yes, you had a lot of fun before. But they are your world now.)
- You love them more than words can describe.
If you are with their father, or your partner, you should remind them how much you love and appreciate them as well! God knows, parenting is hard enough and anyone who shares that ginormous responsibility with you deserves your gratitude on Mother’s Day. Surface treatments may make us prettier, but gratitude gives us an inner glow that radiates with a much deeper beauty. Still… if anyone gives me spa passes, I’m not gonna refuse!